About the Designing Better project
The Designing Better project is a suite of suggestions by the Northern Territory Planning Commission that specifically relates to apartment and mixed use buildings.
The project applies to:
- Zone MR (Medium Density Residential);
- Zone HR (High Density Residential);
- Zone CB (Central Business); and
- Zone C (Commercial)
Designing Better is Territory-wide in scope and seeks to encourage and enable residential apartment and mixed use buildings in the Northern Territory to:
- respond to context and celebrate local and regional differences;
- respond to climate and contribute to the Territory’s built form character;
- embrace Innovation through flexible, best practice design solutions; and
- make great places that provide meaningful, vibrant and liveable spaces for people.
This project draws upon feedback received from the community and industry through other projects and targets a number of key design elements for improvement.
The Designing Better project will ultimately inform revised development requirements in the Northern Territory Planning Scheme and be complemented by the locality-specific guidance of Area Plans.
Stage Two - Get involved now
We want your feedback on proposed development requirements and guidance notes that could be included in the NT Planning Scheme 2020.
Open sessions will be held across the Territory during March – make an appointment or just drop in and chat to the team about what this project means for you.
- Tennant Creek - Monday 15 March 2021, Government Centre, 8.30am - 5.30pm
- Alice Springs - Wednesday 17 March 2021, DoubleTree by Hilton, 8.30am - 5.30pm
- Katherine - Tuesday 30 March 2021, Public Library, 8.30am - 3.30pm
If you can’t make it to one of the open sessions but would like to have a chat with the team, get in touch with us.
Download the proposed design requirements and guidance notes now.
Submissions on the proposed design requirements can be made online, via post or in person until Friday 16 April 2021.
Stage One - Complete
- Stage 1a - Select Industry Sounding Engagement
- Stage 1b - Industry Sounding
- Stage 1c - Broad Community Engagement
What happens next
Your feedback will enable the finalisation of proposed planning scheme amendments for inclusion in the Scheme. All stakeholders will be updated of the next step at the conclusion of Stage Two via direct communication methods and updates to this web page.
Once finalised the Planning Commission will recommend the proposed planning scheme amendments to the Minister. The Minister for Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics is the decision-maker on proposals to amend the NT Planning Scheme.
Resources and reading material
- Stage One Consultation Report
- Designing Better - Snapshot booklet
- Designing Better - Consultation Discussion Paper