About the Designing Better project
The Designing Better project is a suite of suggestions by the Northern Territory Planning Commission that specifically relates to apartment and mixed use buildings.
The project applies to:
- Zone MR (Medium Density Residential);
- Zone HR (High Density Residential);
- Zone CB (Central Business); and
- Zone C (Commercial)
Designing Better is Territory-wide in scope and seeks to encourage and enable residential apartment and mixed use buildings in the Northern Territory to:
- respond to context and celebrate local and regional differences;
- respond to climate and contribute to the Territory’s built form character;
- embrace Innovation through flexible, best practice design solutions; and
- make great places that provide meaningful, vibrant and liveable spaces for people.
This project draws upon feedback received from the community and industry through other projects and targets a number of key design elements for improvement.
The Designing Better project will ultimately inform revised development requirements in the Northern Territory Planning Scheme and be complemented by the locality-specific guidance of Area Plans.
- Stage 1a - Select Industry Sounding Engagement
- Stage 1b - Industry Sounding
- Stage 1c - Broad Community Engagement
The next step is to assess the responses received to assist in preparing a suite of potential planning scheme amendments, which once complete, will provide another opportunity for feedback before possible inclusion in the NT Planning Scheme.